Change Over 2016 -2017 to 2017 - 2018
This years change over dinner was held at the Bunkers Bistro at Tallwoods on 8th June and was attended by Lions members their partners and special guests. MLA Stephen Bromhead, Lion John Davis District Governor elect and regional Chairman Kevin Thornton.
This traditional annual get together of Lions is held to officially change over and install the new President and board for the year 2017/2018. Outgoing President Deb Schmitzer highlighted the years projects undertaken by the club and its members over the past 12 months when over $102,000 was raised in the year. She thanked the members for their hard work and the impressive result. The club also saw a large increase in membership during the year and continues to grow with its influence now spreading to Nabiac where a new club is in the early stages of development.
Incoming President Gerard Cross spoke of his vision for the coming year and looks forward to working with all members and taking the club to even greater heights in the months ahead. Several members received recognition awards during the evening.
From time to time Lions Clubs world-wide recognize outstanding individuals by bestowing on them an award that is named for its founder, Melvin Jones. This award is the highest form of recognition and embodies humanitarian ideas consistent with the nature and purpose of Lionism. Our club is proud that this year Vaughn Parker, President 2004/05 and 2014/15 and other official roles in the club, was presented with the prestigious Melvin Jones Fellowship Award in recognition of his outstanding contribution to Lions and the community over many years of service to Lions
Melvin Jones founded Lions International 100 years ago on 7th June 1917. What better time to consider joining this dynamic local club during Lions centenary year and enjoy fellowship and working with your local community.
Hallidays Point Lions Club
1. Melvin Jones Fellowship Award for outstanding service to Lions and the Community
Awarded to: Vaughn Parker
2. Gold Plate Award for fundraising and dedicated support of Australian Lions Children’s Cancer Research Foundation
Awarded to: Daniel Kranz
3. Neville Tucker Silver Honour Award in recognition of excellence in Club Finance
Awarded to: David O’Hara
4. JD Richardson Award Australian Lions Foundation for Dedication and Commitment to Lions.
Awarded to: John Griffiths
5. Helen Keller Fellowship Lions Hearing Dogs. In recognition of commitment to Community Service.
Awarded to: Margaret Waldock
6. Harry Hession Bronze Honour Award Lions Clubs NSW- ACT Save Sight & Health Care Limited. In recognition of Outstanding Service and Dedication to fundraising
Awarded to: Alan Stewart
7. Harry Hession Bronze Honour Award Lions Clubs NSW- ACT Save Sight & Health Care Limited. In recognition of Outstanding Service and Dedication to fundraising
Awarded to: Virginia Stewart
8. Presidents Award for Dedicated Service to the Community.
Awarded to: Maureen Timmins
9. Presidents Award for Fundraising work.
Awarded to: Glenice Honeysett
10. Presidents Award for Event Organisation
Awarded to: Noel McManus
Incoming President 2017 - 2018 Gerard Cross with outgoing President 2016 - 2017 Deb Schmitzer. Melvin Jones Fellowship award winner Vaughn Parker with wife Gail.
Share A Cuppa
Many thanks to all those who attended the Share A Cuppa event on 30th May at the Black Head Surf Life Saving Club and all those volunteers and Lions for their hard work in making the event such a success
Anzac Day Service
Lest we forget
Local Postie bike riders raise significant funds in Ride Against Kids Cancer.
The Lions Club of Hallidays Point are pleased to announce that their Ride Against Kids Cancer event held at the Wingham Sporting complex Go Kart track on Saturday 8th April was a huge success. A total of 39 sponsored riders in 8 teams rode Postie bikes in rotation for ten hours non-stop from 10.00am to 8.00pm. In expressing her thanks to everyone involved Deb Schmitzer the President of Hallidays Point Lions said. ‘The excellent team effort from both the Lions club organising committee, the many volunteers and generous sponsors resulted in a significant fund raiser for Childhood Cancer Research Foundation. The sponsored riders were the primary contributors to the fund raiser and their sponsorships have raised more than $20,000 with more to follow from sponsored raffles, all of which is donated to The Garvan Institute of Medical Research genome project to help find genetic solutions so every child has a 100% survival rate.’
A selection of photos from a very successful day. We even made the 6.00pm news on Channel Nine.
Lions hard at work.
The bikies weren't only blokes!
A BIG THANKYOU TO ALL OUR SPONSORS, VOLUNTEERS, LION ZONE CLUBS AND OF COURSE OUR OWN WONDERFUL MEMBERS WHO ARE ALWAYS WILLING AND READY TO SERVE THEIR COMMUNITY WITH ENTHUSIASM.
We would like to thank the following generous sponsors
● Griffo’s Automotive
● Taree Motorcycles
● Bakewell Haulage
● Waves at Black Head
● Diamond Beach Butchery
● Coastline Credit Union
● Cellarbrations at Diamond Beach
● Stone's Throw Diamond Beach
● HallidaysPoint Tavern
● Bellevue Tuncurry
● Fishing Tackle Shop Tuncurry
● Toys & Collectable Tuncurry
● Wavelengths Tuncurry
● Lumpy's Garden Centre
● Pet Wash Forster
● Choices Carpets
● Audry's Curtains Forster
● Tile Power
● Forster Tavern Bottlo
● Photo Framing Forster
● Bargain Store Forster
● Repco Forster
● Tuncurry Pharmacy
● Great Lakes Pharmacy
● In House Forster
● Townhead wholesale Veg and Fruit
● BBQ Galore
● Go-Vita Forster
● Great Lakes Nissan Motor Group
● MacDonalds Forster
● Priceline Stocklands Forster
● The Point Bakery
● Coles Wingham
● North South West Office Technology
Click the link below to find out more about Garvan Institute of Medical research and the Lions Race Against Cancer event.
AUSTRALIAN LIONS CHILDHOOD CANCER RESEARCH FOUNDATION NEWSLETTER. CLICK THE LINK BELOW.
Read more about the Genome Project click the link below.
If you want to know more about why we are raising funds click below.
SHARE A CUPPA FOR CHILDHOOD CANCER.
Australia Day Ambassador OAM James Turner
Australia Day 2017
Uniting in Celebration.
BREAKFAST ON BLACK HEAD BEACH
THURSDAY 26TH JANUARY 7.00AM TO 9.00AM
FREE SAUSAGE SIZZLE, DAMPER AND BILLY TEA
Flag raising ceemony: Australia Day Ambassador: Good food: Good Music: Good fellowship
PROUDLY SPONSORED BY: LIONS CLUB HALLIDAYS POINT In conjunction with:
DIAMOND BEACH BUTCHERY
THE POINT BAKERY
FOODWORKS HALLIDAYS POINT
DIAMOND BEACH RURAL FIRE SERVICE
BLACK HEAD SURF LIFE SAVING CLUB
The Event was enjoyed by many members of the Hallidays Point community. Thanks again to all our sponsors!
- LIONS SERVING THE COMMUNITY
At an informal gathering at Black Head Surf Life Saving Club during ‘Sunday Sippers’ on 11th December and members of Hallidays Point Lions, President of the HP Lions Club Deb Schmitzer presented two cheques to the BHSLC.
$6000 toward the cost of the new Black Head Pool road access which was completed earlier this year and a cheque for $2373 for the purchase of two new rescue boards for the club.
Vice President Gerard Cross provided a brief overview of the purpose and function of the Lions Club and the role it plays in communities across the world and more specifically the contribution Lions have made to the local Hallidays Point community. The strength of Lions lies in its membership base and the club extends an invitation to anyone in the community interested in becoming a member. Contact Ray Piper at firstname.lastname@example.org
- LIONS COMMUNITY CALENDAR 2017. HOME DELIVERIES HAVE BEEN COMPLETED AND POST BOX DELIVERIES WHERE PROMO MATERIAL ACCEPTED. IF YOU ARE A LOCAL RESIDENT AND DO NOT RECEIVE A FREE CALENDAR PLEASE CALL IN AT THE POP UP SHOP FOR A COPY. IF YOU REQUIRE MORE THAN ONE FREE COPY THESE CAN BE PURCHASED AT $5 EACH.
- LIONS POP UP SHOP OPEN EVERY THURSDAY, FRIDAY AND SATURDAY MORNING. ALSO OPEN SUNDAY ON MARKET DAY FIRST SUNDAY OF THE MONTH. LOTS OF BARGAINS AVAILABLE. POP UP SHOP IN THE VILLAGE AT HALLIDAYS POINT SHOPPING CENTRE.
- LIONS CORD BLOOD APPEAL RAFFLE. GROCERY GRAB
- THE WINNERS DRAWN ON SATURDAY 10TH DECEMBER ARE: $300 VOUCHER: C. FRASER TICKET NO: 810 $150 VOUCHER: ROD WILMOTT TICKET NO: 738. $50 VOUCHER: CARLY BANENDORF TICKET NO: 886. CONGRATULATIONS AND THANKYOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
Ordinary people doing extraordinary things - supporting people with a disability, fundraising for worthwhile local and national causes.
We are the Lions
We meet the needs of our local communities and the world.
Our 1.4 million men and women in 205 countries and geographic areas conduct vision and health screenings, build parks, support eye hospitals, award scholarships, assist youth, provide help in time of disaster and much more.
Join us in making our communities and the world better places to live.
Becoming a Lion
Lions club members are men and women who strive to make a difference in their local community as well as in communities worldwide. Their volunteer efforts go beyond the support of vision care, to addressing unmet health and education needs worldwide.
Interested in becoming a member:
Vaughn Parker Tel: 0409 593 268 or email: email@example.com
Download a membership brochure and application here: